I tried various Linux ISO to USB software like UNetbootin, liveusb-creator, Universal-USB-Installer etc to create CentOS 6 (take a look at new look of CentOS website) bootable USB/pendrive. But all have some problems or limitations which force me to use ISO2USB software, which help me to meet my need.
Create a CentOS 6 bootable USB which will support customized installation (by using kickstart configuration file).
Limitations with other software
UNetbootin: Bootable USB of CentOS 6 created by UNetbootin is not even booting the system using USB and not support kickstart configuration file.
liveusb-creator: It support live Linux Fedora OS only like fedora-live and not support kickstart configuration file.
Universal-USB-Installer: It successfully boot the CentOS 6 from USB but failed to install by kickstart configuration file.
Prerequisites of ISO2USB software
This is the minimum requirement for all ISO to USB software. It need followings:
- ISO file or CD/DVD of CentOS 6 (Custom Installation disk of CentOS 6).
- A USB drive to boot the system.
Prepare CentOS 6 bootable from ISO file or CD/DVD
After downloading ISO2USB software for Windows, follow the steps given below:
- Plug the USB drive to Windows XP/Vista/7 machine.
- Execute the ISO2USB software.
- Browse CentOS 6 ISO (with custom installation) file by using the highlighted browse button.
Browse Custom CentOS-6 ISO file
- Click on OK button but before clicking on OK button; just make sure that correct USB drive should be selected.
Select USB drive
- Click Exit button, when finished.
- Safely remove USB drive from Windows XP/Vista/7 system.
USB drive is now ready to install CentOS 6 (with custom configuration file) on your system.